Righting an Old Wrong

Posted by Jon in HB | 10:48 PM | 3 comments »


It was the summer of 1981. I had just finished the first grade. There was only one movie to see that summer. A movie that every kid was begging their parents to take them to see...




So dad packed up the family and drove to the theater to watch the summer blockbuster that started it all.

Now let's fast forward a moment...I am not a fan of crowds. I have a Disney annual pass, but rarely go there during the summer or on weekends, for the sole purpose of avoiding crowds. I do not usually go to a movie when it first comes out, just to avoid the crowds. I hate going to Target in the third week of December, simply because of the crowds. Now, I've never asked my dad if he shares that disdain for the masses, but I think that is where I got it. For I believe that was that reason that Dad did what he did.


The movie had just come out and the lines were very long. Dad took us to buy our tickets and instead of purchasing us tickets for the one and only movie I cared to see that glorious summer, he purchased tickets for a movie that had no line and was sure to be less crowded...



That's right, that timeless classic...
Time Bandits.


Dad ruined my summer. Don't get me wrong, I have grown to love all things Gilliam. But as a seven year old, it did nothing for me. Actually it did. It scared the crap out of me. Sir Ralph Richardson as the Supreme Being gave me nightmares. When they were climbing the stairs in the black abyss of nothingness I was petrified. The parents exploding in the end after touching the bit of Evil was horrific.

I don't remember ever seeing Raiders on the big screen. I think the first time I saw it in a wide screen format was when the box set came out of all three movies.

But now there is a fourth installment...



But now I will avenge this wrong! I will go to the theater this summer (maybe not the 22nd) and purchase a ticket no matter how the long the line. I will go and I will watch the end of this saga on the silver screen. Damn the lines, damn the crowds! I will not back down, I will not be afraid, I will not forgo this movie for something with a shorter line.

I will not waste money on...








p.s. Interesting side note: While tooling around on the internet I found this interesting tidbit relating to the latest Indy movie.

3 comments

  1. discomommy // May 16, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

    Kristi, will you go see this with him? I am NOT into these movies at all. Waste of money and babysitter in my opinion! I'll watch the kids for you!

  2. VikingMom // May 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

    Jon, I feel sorry for you. I was away at camp when Raiders came out. My dad was my counselor...therefore, we both missed out and my mom and sister went instead.

    If Gina won't take you, I'm sure we can gather up a large group of people who will. We must right this wrong. Justice must be served!

  3. Heidi // May 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

    Jon - you sound like the screenwriter for the movie The Sand Lot. Brilliant! Gina - I'm with you. Not really into these movies - I liked the third one, but I don't have the need to see it on the big screen. Kurt will probably want to see it in the theater though...