Good News..Bad News

Posted by Jon in HB | 7:18 AM | 11 comments »

(THE FOLLOWING POST WAS FIRST POSTED ON APRIL FOOL'S DAY-DON'T BE FOOLED!)

After six long years of working for the same company, I've been given a nice new promotion this week. We have been growing so rapidly in the last couple of years that there has been a big need for Area Directors, those are managers that oversee five to six stores not just one. I have been recognized for some hard work and great numbers and been offered the next Area Directorship (I'm not sure directorship is a word, but I'm going with it). It will mean some longer hours and travel but it's a big challenge that I'm excited to take on.
Bad news...It's not here in California. We've grown so much in the Texas & Florida markets that's where they need new area directors. Soooo, I'll be flying out to those to regions in the next couple of weeks to look at the restaurants there and look at housing to see where we would choose. This all happened so fast and our heads are spinning at all this means. We're not sure if I should move out first and wait for the kids to finish the school year or if we're all heading out together. There is so much we're going to miss about living here, especially our friends. We've been praying about this and leaving this in God's hands. We've been asking God to help with this decision and we believe this is where  wants us to be with it. Please keep us in your thoughts as we move forward in this adventure. Gina is taking it particularly hard so you might want to call or reach out at some point.
We will plan a HUGE party to say good bye in the next couple of months-and your all invited.

Wish us luck! 

11 comments

  1. VikingMom // April 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

    Seriously? Or is this an April Fool's joke. Hmmm....to trust Jon or not. That is the question.

  2. VikingMom // April 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

    If it is true--The Baker clan will miss you greatly. We would vote for Texas over Florida because, after all...we named our oldest after the state capital.

    Still debating the veracity of your post though. I'll have to see what Gina posts (or hear it from Kristi. They always speak the truth! :)

  3. Jon in HB // April 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM  

    APRIL FOOL'S!

    I was going to let this one go for the whole day and have Gina post something on her blog to play along. But when I got a heartfelt email from Connie Templeton this morning explaining that this was the first blog entry that had made her cry, I decided to let the cat out of the bag. She was so sweet and shared stories of their moves. I felt like an ass (Kristi you are correct in always calling me an ass) so I immediately called Curtis to see how much of a sense of humor his mom had. I then called her to remind her of today's date. She had a good chuckle.

    The Michells' love all holidays, even April Fool's Day. We've playing jokes on each other all day.

    That was my first cyber April Fool's joke.

  4. Jon in HB // April 1, 2008 at 2:12 PM  

    be honest...who fell for it?

  5. VikingMom // April 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

    Hah! So my first inclination was right. Whew! I felt very cynical in not believing you! (Thanks Jon...you just made my cynicism so much deeper than before.)

  6. Heidi // April 1, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

    Okay - I will admit. You got me good. I opened up the blog and was trying to read it while the kids were going nutso (running, screaming, just the norm at the Goble house). I got to the bad news and let out an "Ooh noooo, I was just getting to know them - oh noooo!" Hope comes running up and yells (she has somehow gotten the idea that I have a hearing problem) "What's wrong Mom, What's wrong Mom, WHAT's WROOOOONG MOM?" I attempt to ignore the insanity and press on with my reading amid the chaos but I quickly gave up the fight and let out a holy shout "Okay - everybody SHUT your mouths and don't even open them to BREATHE!" Two little kids with eyes the size of dinnerplates stared back at me as I continued to read. Dinnerplates turned to oval shaped serving platters (you know, the kind you serve the Christmas turkey on) when I let out another "holy" shout upon reading your comment. I'll leave the contents of the holy shout to your imagination but it involved name calling, couch punching and hair pulling (relax, I pulled my own hair not my kids' hair).

    I will say though - I've never been happier about something being an April Fool's joke. VERY glad you all are not going anywhere...

  7. Kurt // April 1, 2008 at 9:29 PM  

    okay - i'll admit it - you got me
    jerk-face

  8. Kristi // April 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

    first of all...i don't use said language that you accused me of.

    secondly...you did have me...until the 2nd line of the 2nd paragraph. but then i realized you would never move away without calling your boyfriend curtis first...so i looked down at the date and realized it was April 1.

    gina - was this what you were referencing this morning when you said jon was naughty?

    oh, and one more thing...you made Connie CRY???? that is impressive. i'm not sure if i've ever seen her cry. you must feel awful.

  9. Unknown // April 2, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

    see that?
    YOU MADE CONNIE CRY!
    jerk-face

  10. Unknown // April 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

    okay - I'm just jealous

  11. k moore nyc // April 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

    i hate you jon. you made me call my sister to see if you guys were ACTUALLY moving and she compared me to my mom. thanks jon. i feel like an ass.