I do

Posted by Jon in HB | 7:17 PM | 4 comments »

On October 23, 1999 I said "I do". Nine years seems like it flew by. Not every single day has been the romantic ending of a Nicholas Sparks novel or a perfect scene in a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie. But more days have been than have not! In nine years of marriage I have learned several things...

First, I can choose to be right, or I can choose to be happy. If you know me well, you know that I'm usually smiling.

Second, I have learned that after Gina leaves this Earth behind, she will no doubt be eligible for sainthood for the miracle of putting up with me!

And third, in every marriage there are clearly defined roles. To have a great marriage you must know your role and perform it. And gentleman, don't be so naive as to think that you have a say in your role. Your role will be thrust upon you whether you like it or not and whether you are able to perform it or not. Let me share with you my roles...





I get to kill things in our house.




I get to pick up things outside of our house.




I get to answer the door when certain people come to our house.




I get to fix things that break in our house.





I get to make sure that I have unwrinkled clothes when I leave our house.






I get to hang things from our house.

4 comments

  1. VikingMom // October 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

    Awesome! I see that you and I share a job: killing things. If you doubt this, then you haven't seen my carp video! Also, Billy unwrinkles his own clothes too (to some that may be ironing, but in our house it's usually tossing it in the dryer and crossing your fingers.)

  2. Kristi // October 23, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

    Congrats to you both. And I think this is a sweet post.

  3. Don // October 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM  

    Here's to 90 more years.

    Congratulations guys. Jon, it's good to know you understand your job description so thoroughly. That certainly greases the wheels of matrimonial bliss considerably!

  4. discomommy // October 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

    Ummm...where were you 20 minutes ago when your "certain people" came to visit. They left you some literature!