To Make a Long Story Short...

Posted by Jon in HB | 10:16 PM | 5 comments »


Is a blog too much time to invest? When I started this blog, topics raced through my head. I would write several a week. Then it was one or two a week. Then once or twice a month. Now I just feel like it's too much time to devote. 


What's wrong with me. I'm turning in to more of a "Jon Michell IS..." Facebook kind of guy. You know, one quick sentence, and peace out. 

But it's not just my blog world that has been effected by my shortened attention span. All sorts of areas have been affected.

I'm satisfied with watching trailers on Apple.com rather than spending two hours in the theatre. Talk Soup is a better way to catch up on a weeks worth of TV viewing. I find myself shoving food in my mouth over the kitchen sink instead of sitting down with the kids for a meal. I've become a text messenger; I now know what LOL, ROTF, WTH, and LMAO mean, and actually use them. I don't need to listen to an entire album, I'm satisfied with hearing fifteen second clips at the iTunes stores. When people send me email jokes I scroll down and read the punch line first to see if I want to invest in reading the entire joke. 

We live in an instant coffee, microwave, cliff note, no foreplay right to the good stuff kind of world. 

What happened to long walks on the beach? The Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain? Where's the great poets of our time? The wonderful conversationalists? What happened to the LP, the mini-series, or the seven course meal with the thirty minute chocolate souffle that has to be ordered be for you even get your salad?

I'd like to vent more about this but my Hot Pocket is getting cold and I gotta check out the last three episodes of Project Runway I DVR'd in the next forty-five minutes before I go to bed.

I think Tigger put it pest when he said, "TTFN."  

5 comments

  1. Kristi // August 1, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

    well...i scrolled down to the bottom of your blog and decided i would invest the time to read this one....even though it was so long and took me almost a WHOLE minute.

    Good thoughts Jon. But dare I say...all of those things that you suggested are still happening....there are great poets, chocolate souflees, long walks on the beach, etc... you just have to be willing to invest.

    Much like the blog.

    Thanks for reminded me that today...I should invest.

  2. Jon in HB // August 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

    I will invest this weekend! The whole family is going camping with no blogs, Facebook, Macs, microwaves, TV or cell phones. Now that's a big investment!

  3. Heidi // August 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

    What is LMAO?

    I liked this post Jon. Nicely put.

  4. Jon in HB // August 3, 2008 at 12:08 PM  

    LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off

  5. Kristi // August 3, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

    i think you came home early because you couldn't stand to be away from your computer, your tivo, or your cell phone.